Index for Chapter XXVIII - Of Other Relations
- 1. Ideas of proportional relations.
- 2. Natural relation.
- 3. Ideas of instituted or voluntary relations.
- 4. Ideas of moral relations.
- 5. Moral good and evil.
- 6. Moral rules.
- 7. Laws.
- 8. Divine law the measure of sin and duty.
- 9. Civil law the measure of crimes and innocence.
- 10. Philosophical law the measure of virtue and vice.
- 11. The measure that men commonly apply to determine what they
call virtue and vice.
- 12. Its enforcement is commendation and discredit.
- 13. These three laws the rules of moral good and evil.
- 14. Morality is the relation of voluntary actions to these rules.
- 15. Moral actions may be regarded either absolutely, or as ideas
- 16. The denominations of actions often mislead us.
- 17. Relations innumerable, and only the most considerable here
- 18. All relations terminate in simple ideas.
- 19. We have ordinarily as clear a notion of the relation, as of
the simple ideas in things on which it is founded.
- 20. The notion of relation is the same, whether the rule any
action is compared to be true or false.
© Roger Bishop Jones
created 29/10/94; modified 4/12/95