Index for Chapter II - Of the Signification of Words
- 1. Words are sensible signs, necessary for communication of ideas.
- 2. Words, in their immediate signification, are the sensible signs
of his ideas who uses them.
- 3. Examples of this.
- 4. Words are often secretly referred first to the ideas supposed
to be in other men's minds.
- 5. To the reality of things.
- 6. Words by use readily excite ideas of their objects.
- 7. Words are often used without signification, and why.
- 8. Their signification perfectly arbitrary, not the consequence of a
© Roger Bishop Jones
created 29/10/94; modified 4/12/95