Index for Chapter V - Of the Names of Mixed Modes and Relations
- 1. Mixed modes stand for abstract ideas, as other general names.
- 2. First, The abstract ideas they stand for are made by the
- 3. Secondly, made arbitrarily, and without patterns.
- 4. How this is done.
- 6. Instances:
- 7. But still subservient to the end of language, and not made at
- 8. Whereof the intranslatable words of divers languages are a proof.
- 9. This shows species to be made for communication.
- 10. In mixed modes it is the name that ties the combination of
simple ideas together, and makes it a species.
- 11. Suitable to this, we find that men speaking of mixed modes,
seldom imagine or take any other for species of them, but such as
are set out by name:
- 12. For the originals of our mixed modes, we look no further than
- 13. Their being made by the understanding without patterns, shows
the reason why they are so compounded.
- 14. Names of mixed modes stand always for their real essences, which
are the workmanship of our minds.
- 15. Why their names are usually got before their ideas.
- 16. Reason of my being so large on this subject.
© Roger Bishop Jones
created 29/10/94; modified 4/12/95